Thursday, May 24, 2012

Grown-up Breakfast in the Nighttime

UPDATE: Wow.  Do not try to blog while doing other things.  I wrote this recipe with roasted potatoes in mind (which is what the cayenne, rosemary, thyme, and/or paprika were for), but never mention them.  So, banished from the blog are those ingredients.  More importantly, we would never roast anything at 315 F!  Well, I wouldn't.  That should be 415 F.  Fixed and done.


Since being reminded during Klug's visit that eggs are a thing that taste good, I have been eating them as frequently as justifiable.  Here are my recent favorite things to eat with eggs:

Fried Eggs with Roasted Asparagus and Dijon Mustard
Serves 1


Yep.  I stole this picture from the internet
because I am still too lazy to take real pictures of my own food.

2 eggs half a bunch of asparagus*
1-2 slices of quality bread**
olive oil
cayenne, rosemary, thyme, and/or paprika***
Kosher salt, pepper
Dijon Mustard**** 
Cholula (optional)

Okay, so, this isn't really a recipe, because, duh, making all of these things is trivial.  But, here's how anyways:

Preheat oven to 315 415 F.  
Trim and wash asparagus.  If you just bend the asparagus stalk, it will break at the end of the woody fibrous end, which you should trash.  Lay out asparagus on a cookie sheet (covered with foil first, if you want easy cleaning).  Drizzle a little olive oil over the stalks and sprinkle a pinch of kosher salt.  Mix so all stalks are covered with some olive oil and salt.  Roast on the top-ish rack in the oven for 10-14 minutes, depending on your oven and how crispy you like the asparagus.  Make sure to check the asparagus at about 10 minutes to avoid over-roasting.

Note: I have spent many a time trying to perfect the roasting temp and time for asparagus, and have found that 315 415 F for 14 minutes is perfection.  You can be perfect like me and follow suit, or you can be imperfect and obstinate and figure it out for yourself.  Just kidding, I'm all for the discovery process.

While the asparagus are roasting, take your slice(s) of bread and toast in toaster oven.  If using a toaster, wait a few minutes.

When only a few minutes remain for the asparagus and toast, heat a little bit of olive oil (I never measure, but maybe a teaspoon?) in a frying pan over medium-low to medium heat.  Swirl oil around the pan to coat the bottom surface.  Crack eggs into the frying pan.  Let fry for a short while - until the whites start to set.  Salt and pepper the top of the eggs.  Flip when you think you can without breaking the yolk.  Let fry for about 30-60 seconds.  The cook time can vary wildly depending on how well down you like your eggs.  At this point, I also like to top the eggs with a little Cholula, because everything is better with hot sauce.

Place an egg on each slice of toast.  Add asparagus (I like mine on the side, rather than on top).  Then use your knife to add Dijon mustard and/or egg yolk to each bite of egg and/or asparagus like a British person and be pumped!

*Or more.  Asparagus is a bit pricey, so it's up to you.  Really, any veggie would do, but I've had a hard time finding a nice green veggie that is as good as asparagus with the eggs.
**I would recommend a crusty sort of bread, rather than a sandwich bread, from a local bakery.  Whole wheat, sourdough, what have you.  If your local bakery has it, I would recommend a dark whole wheat sourdough, which is like manna from the sky (the one I love is from a baker in DC...which apparently no longer exists?  Nevermind.)
***Any is good, but probably not all three.  Klug prefers the Rosemary, I prefer the paprika, both of us like a little cayenne.
****I am digging the mild and creamy Grey Poupon, because I roll high class like that (oh, it's by Kraft.  Sad face.)  You could also make your own, but I don't know how to do that.  If you're feeling more diner than dining room, mix a little Sriracha or Cholula in with some ketchup.


1 comment: