Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Summer Treat! Banana Smoothie

Last summer I survived on cold "fruit"...fruit popsicles and grapes. Lots and lots of grapes.  This summer, I've decided to try to broaden my scope and use up some old-ish riper-than-I-like-to-eat-on-their-own bananas. Basically, whenever I buy bananas and inevitably fail to eat all of them before they start to turn spotty, I peel them whole, stick them in a ziploc, and plop them in the freezer. Usually I'm thinking all be fancy and bake delicious banana bread, which I am very good at not doing. So, even though they are quite tasty on their own (sliced), today, I decided to whiz up some frozen bananas into an insanely easy and quick smoothie.

"Yeah, you know I'm smoooooth" Banana Smoothie Serves 1 (about 8 oz)
1 frozen banana cut into about 1.5 inch pieces
1/4 to 1/2 cup milk (soy milk would be great in this as well)
A few ice cubes (probably 3-4)

Take your trusty blender out and put in banana pieces. I would suggest whizzing a bit and then adding in the milk and ice in parts as you blend so you can control the consistency and amount. The ice mostly just helps to keep the smoothie colder and keep a thicker consistency (unless you really just want cold banana milk).

That's it! Seriously. It was sweet enough without simple syrup or sugar; I actually added more ice to cut the sweetness. Also, I thought I might not have enough time to whip this up this morning before leaving for school, but was done in about 3.5 minutes (sans cleanup).

No comments:

Post a Comment